Complete Surrender

A small incident that made me think about how our Father (the Almighty) can help solve our complex problems

My Photo
Name:

http://twitter.com/harshthakkar :)

Monday, March 20, 2006

Surrender, completely and unconditionally!

I have two things lingering in my mind for quiet some time now –
1. about trying my hands at blogging and
2. the incident I am going to put down as my first Blog

I consider myself as spiritually bent. While I spend time with our growing kid (Param – who is now 2+ years of age) I come across interesting incidents. I think that any father-son incidents can be looked at from a spiritual angle. And this can lead to subtle messages about how our ultimate Father (the Almighty) treats us. Let me cut the pre-amble short and jump to the specific incident I wanted to share.

One fine day, Param was playing with a closed cylindrical plastic box containing 100 ear buds. (Parents of kid know this for sure – kids like to play with anything and everything except their toys ;-). After few minutes of struggling, he was successful in setting all the 100 ear buds free from captivity. All the buds were scattered hither and thither on the bed.

Now, he got chance to try his hands at another game – to put all the 100 ear buds back in the box. This one was tougher than his earlier stint. (A cliché worth pondering over - Isn’t it always easier to break than to make?).

While I was watching all this, it was difficult for me to resist my urge to help him out. However, I waited till he finally gave up and looked at me for help (and all this is of course in our very own ‘sign’ language – since he has not yet learned to speak).

Then, on getting an approval from him, I gathered all the 100 ear buds and put all of them in the clear plastic box at one go - almost ‘effortlessly’.

While I reflected on this trivial looking incident with a spiritual angle, I was so much pleased and happy that I could ‘read’ the subtle message – When we completely surrender our problems to our Father (the Almighty), they are solved almost ‘effortlessly’; no matter how complex and impossible they may seem to us.

The task of putting all the 100 ear buds in place was so difficult ( rather ‘almost’ impossible – I add the word ‘almost’ here because I believe nothing is impossible) for Param but once he completely surrendered his problem to me, it was done in a jiffy and he might also take it as a ‘miracle’.

The key here is - 'complete surrender'


Someone has rightly said –
Don't tell GOD how big your storm is; Tell the storm how big your GOD is!

5 Comments:

Blogger Amita said...

Very true... so much baggage we carry with us all the time - will suddenly go away, if we realized this simple fact... But often simple things are not easily realized by mortal human beings. Thanks for the blog, and keep writing... would rather read you than the books you used to ask me to read :)

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely put Harsh...I didn't know u were so spiritual :)
Its true though, its very difficult to let go of things sometimes and just relax.

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

such nice thoughts are lying in a very simple and little things that we are not able to understand due to our egoism, we not realize this good things from this kind of small incidents b coz our myth and other things put on curtains on this ,,, very good article ,,
Harshbhai - heartly congratualation .. jsk

10:25 PM  
Blogger United Students said...

Let's walk the talk.







If your support the students movement

against caste based reservations,

please show it.



Join Delhi RWAs, Trade bodies, civil society groups and various student groups at a Solidarity gathering

at Jantar Mantar

on Saturday 20th May, 2006 at 10 a.m.




The gathering will be peaceful : a silent march by the silent majority



[Let’s step up the pressure]



United Students

Campaign Office: F-4, 2nd Floor, South Extension-I, New Delhi-49

Contact: 9810017868



You can reach US at unitedstudents.india@gmail.com or call :

Aditya Raj 9873297834; Dhruv 9818291909; Anchal 9899942321; Ambuj 9313117010; Devika Malik 9891222630; Honey Arun 9818562417; Karan 9871807378; Shikha 9891333730; Aaditya 9810215675

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a good reflection,Harsh. Not only does this incident show the need of total surrender,but it also shows the other side : total protection and support in response. God never fails to make a response ; even not granting the prayer is a response for our good, though we may not be able to appreciate with our limited understanding. A man, for example, rushing to the airport in Delhi-like fog, may pray fervently for not missing his flight ; he may still miss it. Only to find later that the flight crashed (God forbid !). Next,your child surrendered from faith that you would of course help him out ; so surrender without faith has little meaning. Also if you had not done it in a jiffy, and if it took little longer, the child would have reasonably waited patiently ; so surrender and faith are incomplete without patience. You cannot surrender to God and say, 'Lord, here I give in, but you make sure you do this by the week-end"...
So, surrender, faith and patience (Samarpan, Shraddha and Saburi or sabra) are the ingredients of spiritual path. "Everything betrayed thee for thou betrayest me", says God to each of us in Francis Thomson's "The Hound of Heaven" where God is shown as seeking man, rather than the other way round. Lord sees that we are in difficulty without Him, like you saw and knew Param was unable to do that. But since He has given us freedom of choice, or the 'free will',He does not interfere unless we invite Him ; He lets us choose Him or His many glittering gifts - most of us choose the latter, like Duryodhana chose Sri Krishna's mighty army while wise Arjuna chose Him though He had said He wouldn't lift an arm in combat. We know who finally won.... God bless all !

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home